Monday, August 10, 2009

Volunteer Highlight

The other day I was working with families at CARES and passed through the waiting room. There was a toddler in the waiting room, and he was having a melt-down—full on screaming, thrashing, and wailing. His father, whose face was almost as red as his son’s, said “This is how he is all the time. I’m done; I’m just done.” He avoided looking at his son. Juliette, our waiting room volunteer, scooped the little guy up into her arms and walked with him, talking to him in a soothing voice, while telling the Dad “Yea, two-year-olds do that, don’t they? I think he must be tired.” Her tone and actions conveyed to the father, “This is normal behavior for a toddler. He has good reasons for crying. I know it is difficult. I’ll help you.” I watched as the father visibly relaxed, and was able to turn to his child once more.
I thought, as I left the waiting room, of how incredibly valuable our waiting room volunteers are. They not only help the children; they help the parents. They model how to play with children, how to soothe and comfort them. At little while later, I saw Juliette playing with the same little boy in the hallway. She was playing “chase” with him, and he was running and laughing, thoroughly enjoying this game. Then behind Juliette, I saw Dad! He was running and laughing too, joining in this game with his son. Instead of looking angry and frustrated, he looked like he was enjoying himself. I had the feeling that this father was learning from, and being comforted by, Juliette as much as his son was!
Thanks so much to our wonderful volunteers, You offer so much the parents and children here! Pam Crow

No comments:

Post a Comment